Ok time for us to learn you a thing or 3 about iced coffee beverages (P.S. Our learning is a work in progress, so send your comments, curse us out, or let us know if you love it.)
First up: EASY FREEZOCCINO/FRAPPOCCINO/BLENDED ICED COFFEE
1. Doubleshot of espresso – We suggest our current Brasil for its smooth, nutty flavour and good. Choose something with good body, warm chocolate, nut or vanilla notes like a Central American.
2. Ice-cubes 180 gm – This is important folks, if the cubes are slushy or hollow, you will need to adjust the volume
3. 1 tsp of Condensed milk – this gives a little depth to the mouthfeel and is optional
4. 20gm of sugar or sugar substitute – also optional
5. 125 gm of milk or your favourite dairy substitute – this is not optional. If you choose to leave this out, i dont know what your making but its not a frappocino, its something else!!
Throw it all into a good blender, if your blender sucks your going to battle. keep going until you have the consistency of soft serve ice cream
Pro Tips –
- Start with pulsing the blender, it helps
- Pant to relieve brain freeze.
- You can use left over shots for this application without sacrificing quality.
- Unsalted cashew nuts are a great addition
Next up: JAPANESE STYLE ICED POUR OVER
Super easy and really delicious. If you want to preserve the brighter, juicier flavours in an iced coffee then this is a great method. By comparison, full immersion methods of cold brewing tend to dull the acidity creating a thicker, sweeter iced coffee. (you will need a V60 for this).
1.15 grams fresh coffee (filter ground or similar to table salt) – We suggest a juicy fruity bean like our current Kenya – AA Kainamui, Fruit Ninja or a similar bright bean.
2. Ice Ice Baby – 83 grams will do the job. Pop it into your receptacle of choice (cup/jug/bucket whatever you drink from, we don’t judge). Put a bit of attention into the amount of ice, the dilution makes a difference and you may want to tweak it to taste.
3. Water – 165 gm just off the boil around 90 c. Remember, better quality water makes better quality coffee. That simple, so filter it if your local source is kinda funky.
Making the magic happen
Wash your filter to make sure there is no bleach flavours. Place your V60 over your receptacle with ice. Next, add the coffee, and pour a small amount of water to allow the coffee to bloom. After about 30 to 45 seconds, when the coffee starts to collapse, start pouring the rest of your water. Use a circular, even pour around the edges of the coffee to ensure that all the coffee is not adhering to the sides of the V60. Aim for between 2:30 and 3 min for the whole procedure.
Pro Tips –
- If the coffee lacks a full flavour, feels somewhat dry on the tongue, try adjusting your ratio of water.
- Don’t fill your mouth with ice and pour direct into your gaping jaw. Although this is appealing and will earn you party points, the splash will scald your face.
- Grind the coffee fresh, it makes a difference.
- Give a good stir to ensure all the flavours are properly distributed.
Next up: Pumpkin Spice Late
A little more effort, but a lot of fun.
1. Boil up some pumpkin. (you will need 1 TBSP/ freezo, but the rest freezes well.)
2. 1/2 Vanilla Essence
3.Shot of our Chai concentrate. Or alternately you can combine 1 TBSP sugar with a pinch of ground ginger, Cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
4. 1/2 cup of ice.
5. 1/2 cups of milk
6. Doubleshot of Espresso – we suggest our Malawi for this, with its great body.
Blend it! Drink it!
Pro Tips –
- If its too thin, add some more pumpkin or ice cubes. If its too thick, add some milk until its the consistency of soft serve ice cream
- Serve it in a mini pumkin!
Next up: Vietnamese Iced Coffee
This is our take on a delicious classic. Admittedly its not the healthiest option but as occasional treat its got to be no worse than most of the crp we stick into our beleaguered bodies.
1. Espresso – Double of course! We suggest a bean with a bit of punch, our barista blend will do juuust fine for this one.
2. Condensed milk – 2 tablespoons
3. Tumbler of ice
Add it all together, stir it, or shake it up.
Pro Tips –
- Use a cocktail shaker to combine the ingredients.